SYNTHESIS OR JOINING OF SENTENCES

Synthesis (=putting together) is the opposite of Analysis and means the combination of a number of sentences into one new sentence—simple, complex or compound. It is the opposite of splitting up sentences.

The following are the chief ways of combining two or more Simple Sentences into one Simple Sentence:

(a) By using a Participle:

1. He saw me come. He ran away. 
= Seeing me come, he ran away. 

2. He was tired. He rested for a while. 
= Being tired, he rested for a while.


(b) By using an Infinitive:

1. He has many sons. He has to educate them.
=He has many sons to edu

2. He is very weak. He cannot walk.
=He is too weak to walk.


(c) By using an Adverb or an Adverbial phrase:

1. He failed. It was unfortunate.
= Unfortunately he failed. 

2. He returned home. It was evening at the time. 
=He returned home in the evening.


(d) By using an Absolute phrase:

1. The sun set. We began our march.
= The sun having set, we bagan march. 

2. The dinner was over. We left the place.
= Dinner (being) over, we left the place.


(e) By using a Noun or a Phrase in apposition.

1. Akbar was, the Emperor of India. He was one of the greatest kings of his time.
= Akbar, the Emperor of India, was one of the greatest kings of his time.

2. Delhi was once the capital of India. It has regained the honour.
= Delhi, once the capital of India, has regained the honour.

(f) By using a Preposition with a Noun or a Gerund:

1. He came. You had already left.
=He came after your departure. 

2. He worked very hard. He did not sleep.
= He worked very hard without any sleep. 

3. I helped him with money. This proved my love for him.
= I proved my love for him by helping him with money.


🎉 But, in the practical field, we have to combine the different processes for the conversion of three or more simple sentences to one.

1. I was ill. He heard of it. He at once went to the doctor. He did not await instructions from me.

Ans. Hearing of my illness, he at once went to the doctor without awaiting instructions from me.

2. My brother completed his studies. He was 22 years old at the time. He then began to practise. He joined the High Court. 

Ans. On the completion of his studies at the age of 22, my brother began to practise in the High Court.

3. The boy was healthy. He was also strong. So it was not difficult for him to lift the load. It was only fifteen kilograms.

Ans. It was not difficult for a healthy and strong boy like him to lift the load of only fifteen kilograms.

4. A meeting was held in the Town Hall. It discussed matters about school discipline. You were absent from it. I am sorry at this.

Ans. I am sorry at your absence from the meeting held in the Town Hall to discuss matters about school discipline.

5. A fire broke out in the bazar. It broke out on Sunday last. It broke out at about midnight. It destroyed some seventy sheds. All the belongings of the sheds were destroyed.

Ans. A fire broke out in the bazar on Sunday last at about midnight destroying some seventy sheds with all their belongings.

6. Alexander the Great invaded India. He was king of Macedon. The invasion took place about 327 years before Christ. He conquered all the countries between Greece and India. This he did on the way. 

Ans. About 327 years before Christ, Alexander the Great, king of Macedon, invaded India, conquering on the way all the countries between Greece and India. 

7. The life of Scott was noble. He was the father of the English historical romance. His life was brought to a close. It was due to strain. This strain was severe. It was put upon his health.

Ans. The nobel life of Scott, father of the English historical romance, was brought to a close by the severe strain pat upon his health.

8. The sun set. I then went out. My friend accompanied me, We walked on the bank of the river. It flows below the town. 

Ans. The sun having set, I, accompanied by my friend, went out for a walk on the bank of the river flowing below the town.

9. The children came to the garden that afternoon. They found the Giant dead. He was lying under the tree. He was all covered with blossoms. They were white. 

Ans. Coming to the garden that afternoon, the children found the Giant lying dead under the tree, all covered with white blossoms.

10. I heard a loud noise. It was like the bursting of a bomb. It came from a house close by. This was followed immediately by cries from many voices. All this happened a few minutes after my arrival. 

Ans. A few minutes after my arrival, I heard a loud noise like the bursting of a bomb in a house close by, followed immediately by cries from many voices. 

11. A meeting was held on Saturday last. It was held in the College Common Room. Our Principal presided on the occasion. It mourned the death of Ramanikanta Basu. He was one of the best boys of the College.

Ans. A meeting was held on Saturday last in the College Common Room under the presidentship of our Principal to mourn the death of Ramanikanta Basu, one of the best boys of the College.

12. I saw an old man. This was on my way to school. He was poor. He was also bent down with age. He was standing at the door of a house. It was near your friend's house. The man asked for alms.

Ans. On my way to school, I saw a poor old man, bent down with age, standing at the door of a house near your friend's, a king for alms.

13. Byron had certainly some of the qualifications of a great poet. He had an unusual command of language. He was a keen observer of nature. He had an accurate knowledge of men and manners.

Ans. Byron had certainly some of the qualifications of a great poet, an unusual command of language, a power of keen observation of nature and an accurate knowledge of men and manners.

14. He was a short-built lad. He was apparently fifteen or sixteen years of age. He was dark in complexion. But he was very handsome in features. He had beautiful white teeth and large dark eyes.

Ans. He was a short-built lad of apparently fifteen or sixteen years of age, dark in complexion, but very handsome in features, with beautiful white teeth and large dark eyes.

15. The King spent the following year in Normandy. He desired to strengthen his position there. He desired to secure the succession of his son. The son was then eighteen years old. 

Ans. The King, desiring the succession of his son, then eighteen years old, spent the following year in Normandy in order to strengthen his position there.

16. The Prince won a great victory. The King heard this. He was very glad. He came out of the capital. His object was to greet the returning hero. He was accompanied by the courtiers. old peen

Ans. The King, very glad to hear of the great victory won by the Prince, came out of the capital with the courtiers to greet the 'returning hero.


🎉 Several Simple Sentences may be converted to a Compound Sentence with the help of co-ordinating conjunctions:

1. Ram was present. Shyam was present. Mati was absent.
= Ram and Shyam were present, but Mati was absent.

2. He is poor. He is honest. He is also Intelligent.
= He is poor, but he is honest and intelligent.

3. The teacher was not there. The servants were not there. They know nothing.
= Neither the teacher nor the servants were there, and so they know nothing. 

4. You may agree. You may refuse. I shall certainly try to win. My honour depends on it.
= You may agree or refuse, but I shall certainly try to win, for my honour depends on it. 

5. I could not carry out his orders. I did not inform him of my inability in time. So he was displeased with me.
= He was displeased with me, for I could not carry out his orders and did not inform him of my inability in time.

6. He is a rich man. He did not earn his wealth. He does not appreciate the value of money. He spends it recklessly.
= He is a rich man, but as he did not earn his wealth, he does not appreciate the value of money and spends it recklessly.

7. I was not present at the time. I have heard about the matter. This is a serious affair. I consider it my duty to report it to you.
= I was not present at the time, but I have heard about the matter, and as it is a serious affair, I consider it my duty to report it to you.

8. He went to Darjeeling. His brother also went there. I often met them at the Mall. We walked together. 
= Not only he but his brother also went to Darjeeling, where I often met them at the Mall, and we walked together.

9. I am very much worried. Ram has not come. Jatin has not come. All my things are with them.
= Neither Ram nor Jatin has come; so I am very much worried, for all my things are with them.

10. He stood first in the examination. He had been ill before. This was certainly a great credit for him. It deserves all praise.
= He had been ill before the examination; yet he stood first in it, which is a great credit for him and deserves all praise.

11. I went to your father. He received me kindly. He promised to help me. He also kept the promise.
= I went to your father, who received me kindly and not only promised to help me but also kept the promise.

12. He has a very bad health. He lives very carefully. It is inexplicable to the doctor. He told me this. 
= He lives very carefully, yet he has a very bad health, and he told me it was inexplicable to the doctor.

13. We would have entered the dark cave. We would have thoroughly explo red its inner parts. We had no torches. We were forced to give up the attempt. 
= We would have entered the dark cave and thoroughly explored its inner parts, but we had no torches and were, therefore, (or, but as we had no torches, we were) forced to give up the attempt.

14. The King was asleep. The villains saw this. They made signs to one another. They rose up at once. They drew their swords. Their purpose was to kill him.
= When the villains saw the King asleep, they made signs to each other, and, rising at once, drew their swords with the purpose of killing him.

15. Once a beautiful flower put its head out from the grass. It saw the notice board. It was very sorry for the children. It slipped back into the ground again. It then went off to sleep.
= Once a beautiful flower put its head out from the grass, but when it saw the notice-board it was so sorry for the children that it slipped back into the ground again and went off to sleep.


🎉 Two or more Simple Sentences may be combined into a single Complex Sentence in any of the following ways:

(a) By using a Noun Clause: 

1. He is ill. It is known to all.
= That he is ill is known to all. Or, It is known to all that he is ill.

2. He has come. We know it.
= We know that he has come.

3. He did it. I do not know how. It is true. 
= It is true that I do not know how he did it.


(b) By using an Adjective Clause:

1. This is the girl. She stood first in the examination.
=This is the girl who stood first in the examination.

2. I have lost the book. You gave it to me.
= I have lost the book you gave me.

3. There were a few boys there. One of them threw stones at the dog. It had entered the garden. 
= One of the boys who were there threw stones at the dog that had entered the garden.

(c) By using an Adverbial Clause:

1. You are pardoned. You have confessed your crime.
= As you have con fessed your crime, you are pardoned.

2. I may grant you your prayer. You shall have to ask for it.
= I may grant you your prayer if you ask for it.

3. He is rich. I was in difficulty. He did not help me.
= Though he is rich, be did not help me when I was in difficulty.


🎉 In the practical field, we have to combine the different processes shown above to convert a few sentences to a single Complex Sentence, as below:

1. A wrestler had come from Bombay. Another had come from Madres. There was a contest. It was held the other day. The former defeated the latter.

Ans. In the contest that was held the other day, the wrestler who had come from Bombay defeated the wrestler who had come from Madras.

2. My brother is ill. You saw him the other day. So I cannot attend the meeting. You have called it. 

Ans. As my brother whom you saw the other day is ill, I cannot attend the meeting you have called.

3. The man is ery brave. You saw him. He once faced a tiger. He had only a stick in his hand. only

Ans. The man you saw is so brave that he once faced a tiger with in his hand.

4. It was noon. The boys were flying kites. We started for Berubari. We intended to attend a meeting there. Sri N.C. Chatterjee was to preside over the meeting. 

Ans. When the boys were flying kites at noon, we started for Berubari to attend ameeting to be presided over by Sri N.C. Chatterjee.

5. She had been followed by a Prince. The Prince was disguised as a begger. This had happened during her journey through a forest. She told me all about this.

Ans. She told me that, during her journey through a forest, she had been follo wed by a Prince disguised as a beggar.

6. You had given him a loan. You demanded payment of it. But he had no money then. So he came to me for help. He had no other means of saving his honour. I was informed of this.

Ans. As he had no money when you demanded payment of the loan you had given him, he came to me for help, informing me that he had no other means of saving his honour.

7. A farmer went out for some work. On his return he found the cradle turned upside down. He had left his only child in the cradle. The clothes were all torn and bloody.

Ans. A farmer, who had gone out for some work, found, on his return, that the cradle in which he had left his only child was turned upside down, with the clothes all torn and bloody.

8. The boy had accomplishments. The father fully described a large number of these to the teacher. He wished to get him admitted to the school.

Ans. The father, wishing to get his son admitted to the school, fully described to the teacher a large number of accomplishments he had. 

Or, The father fully described to the teacher a large number of accomplishments his boy had, because he wished to get him admitted to the school.

9. I was very sickly. I also suffered from malarial fever very often. So my parents were always anxious about me. I was then a mere boy.

Ans. When I was a mere boy, I was so sickly and suffered from malarial fever so often that my parents were always anxious about me.

10. We opposed his proposal. He has been greatly shocked at this. So he is thinking of resigning from the club. He founded it himself.

Ans. He has been so much shocked at our opposition to his proposal that he is thinking of resigning from the club which he founded himself. 

11. I was wanted there. There was an important discussion there. My sister informed me of this. You had already left my house. This was on Sunday last.

Ans. On Sunday last, after you had already left my house, my sister informed me that I was wanted in the club for an important discussion there. 

12. I require a car. My friend is ready to help me with it. A man tells me this. He has just come.

Ans. The man who has just come tells me that my friend is ready to help me with a car I require. 

13. Ram's cousin is in Delhi now. He will return soon. His father is ill. I am told this. 

Ans. I am told that Ram's cousin who is in Delhi now will return soon, be cause his father is ill.

14. The earth moves round the sun The sun does not move round the earth. It seems to move round the earth. Men of science have clearly proved these points.

Ans. Men of science have clearly proved that the earth moves round the sun, not the sun round the earth, though it seems to do so.

15. I visited the garden. In it were some beautiful rose-trees. The trees were full of bloom. These were red and white in colour. 

Ans. I visited the garden in which were some beautiful rose-trees that were full of bloom, red and white in colour.

16. I heard a loud noise. I came out. I saw a crowd of young boys. They had gathered round á middle-aged man. The man had done something. The crowd were threatening him for this.

Ans. As I came out on hearing a loud noise, I saw that a crowd of young boys had gathered round a middle-aged man, threatening him for something he had done.

17. There had been a railway accident near Patna. It had resulted in loss of many lives. I heard this in the train. I was then returning from Banaras. I had gone there to see my brother.

Ans. While returning from Banaras where I had gone to see my brother, I heard in the train that there had been a railway accident near Patna, resulting in the loss of many lives.

18. I got a scholarship. I had applied for it. He heard this. He was very glad. He at once came to our house. He offered me his blessings.

Ans. When he heard that I had got the scholarship I had applied for, he was so glad that he at once came to our house to offer me his blessings.

19. He wanted a thing. I had it. But I did not give it to him. It would not have done him any good. Instead it would have done him harm.

Ans. Though I had a thing he wanted, I did not give it to him, because it would have done him harm instead of doing him any good.

20. A man may be very poor. Yet he will win the love and respect of all. But he must be honest. He must also always follow the truth. My father says this.

Ans. My father says that however poor a man may be, he will win the love and respect of all if he is honest and always follows the truth.


🎉 As already explained, a compound sentence may contain subordinate clauses, and a complex sentence may contain co ordinate clauses. This has to be borne in mind in synthesis also. Thus, the following are examples of synthesis into Compound Sentences. though there are subordinate clauses in each: 

1. I liked the proposal. So I supported it. It was rejected by the majority of members. They were present there. 

Ans. As I liked the proposal, I supported it; but it was rejected by the majority of the members that were present. 

2. You have entrusted a boy with the work. He is clever. He knows how to do it. He will succeed. I am sure. 

Ans. The boy whom you have entrusted with the work is clever and knows how to do it; so I am sure he will succeed.

3. The lion was let out of its cage for the amusement of the spec tators. It did not run at Androcles to devour him. It came up quitely. It fawned upon him. A dog fawns in the same way upon its master. He had been kind to it in the forest. It remembered this, 

Ans. When the lion was let out of the cage for the amusement of the spectators, it did not run at Androcles to devour him; but, remembering that he had been kind to it in the forest, came up quietly, and fawned upon him in the same way as a dog fawns upon its master. 


🎉 Similarly, the following examples are Complex Sentences, though there are co-ordinate clauses:

1. He was poor. He was weak. He stood by his friend. This friend was in danger. He had none else to help him. 

Ans. Though he was poor and weak, he stood by his friend who was in danger and who had none else to help him.

2. You have fixed up the game for tomorrow. I cannot take part in it. I am ill. The doctor has advised me complete rest: 

Ans. As I am ill and the doctor has advised me complete rest, I cannot take part in the game you have fixed up for tomorrow.


🎉 Sometimes students are asked to combine several sentences into a single sentence. The combination is then to be effected by forming a simple or complex sentence. "Single = one only, not double or multiple" (COD).

https://english-grammarblog.blogspot.com/2022/03/all-about-completing-sentences.html
https://english-grammarblog.blogspot.com/2020/12/rules-of-changing-voice-active-to-passive.html
Search ☟ Grammar

Most Downloaded: ⬇

Link: Top 19 Grammar Books PDF 📚

.............................................................................

📣 Free Course !!

📓 English Grammar in 30 days

👉 START THE COURSE ......

..............................................................................

Most Common Grammatical Errors
https://english-grammarblog.blogspot.com/2022/04/pdf-files-on-verb-tenses-right-form-of-verbs-and-subject-verb-agreement.html

Download PDF (Grammar Contents) 

Sentence 

Download PDF

Tense 

Download PDF

Conditional Sentence

Download PDF

Voice: Active & Passive

Download PDF

Infinitive, Gerund, Participle

Download PDF

Article 

Download PDF

Preposition 

Download PDF

Phrase 

Download PDF

Completing Sentence 

Download PDF

Right Form of Verbs 

Download PDF

Tag Questions

Download PDF

Transformation of Sentences 

Download PDF

Speech / Narration 

Download PDF

Pronoun Reference

Download PDF

Modifier

Download PDF

Linking Words or Connectors 

Download PDF

Synonyms / Antonyms

Download PDF

Punctuation 

Download PDF

❒ English Vocabulary Course 💓
═══════════════════════
☛ For the successful completion of this course, you will have to do two things —

 You must study the day-to-day course (study) material. 
❷ Participate in the MCQs/Quizzes in the telegram Channel.  Join

◉ Click to open 👇 the study materials.

╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
   ══━━━━━━━━✥ ❉ ✥━━━━━━━━══